View Single Post
Old 12-24-2014, 02:53 PM
Gjn290
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: 737 FO

Originally Posted by 321pilot View Post
Hawaii Revealed | The Ultimate Travel and Vacation Guidebooks

These are also excellent travel books, one for each island. We live on Oahu and I agree 2-3 days max here. Pearl Harbor / Waikiki one day, North Shore / Haleiwa one day, Kailua / Lanikai one day. Check out the Tropical Farms - The Macadamia Nut Farm Outlet - Oahu Hawaii for a good little tour bus trip on your North Shore day, especially if the kids are on the younger side.

We tried to cram the Big Island into 4 days last year and we're headed back to explore the volcano and Hilo a little more this year. I've heard Maui is just a scaled down Oahu. Lanai has a couple of really nice 5 star resorts if you're just wanting to get pampered, but not much else. Kauai is awesome as long as the kids are old enough for some hiking. For a family trip I would vote 3 days on Oahu, then a week on the Big Island. There is a ton of stuff to do there and soooo much variety between Kona, Hilo, ranches up north, black sand beaches down south, driving up the mountain, the volcano, etc. Driving around the island almost feels like going through 4 different states back home.
I agree with what everyone else is saying about Oahu.

As for Maui being a scaled down Oahu, I don't think that could be any further from the truth. I live on Maui and have a few friends from Kauai who say Maui is just a busier Kauai. I work in Oahu so I spend quite a bit of time there and when I come home to Maui I am so thankful that I don't live on Oahu.

To the OP, if you are considering a visit to Maui the two areas you want to stay are either South Maui or West Maui. The only downside to South Maui is when the trades are blowing it doesn't make for a good beach day. West Maui is pretty protected from the trades unless they are blowing directly from the north.

I'm sure you've heard of the Road to Hana, worth the drive, leave early in the morning to avoid all the other tourist traffic. The Road to Hana takes a solid day to do.

Catch a sunrise or sunset up at Haleakala, bring warm clothes for that though because it gets freezing!