View Single Post
Old 01-05-2015, 03:40 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

I didn't even make it through all that. But to answer the question...

AC 61-65 will keep you out of trouble with the FAA. Technically, the documents used in 141 would suffice for most logging requirements, ie as long as the details are in the 141 record they don't need to be in the student's logbook (obvious exception for required endorsements). But this could create problems for the student if he leaves the school and tries to finish up part 61...he won't have detailed records of all the required training.

But you also have to consider liability...if you only log the details in the student's book that could be destroyed in a crash, lost prior to the crash, never located after the crash, or "lost" by the plaintiffs if it weakens their case. If I had to do it over, I would have kept duplicate records of everything I put in the student's book (I had that in the school records for my 141 students). I wouldn't actually clutter up my logbook with all that...today I'd just use my phone to take a legible photo of each entry and endorsement I make in a student's book.