View Single Post
Old 06-13-2007, 11:53 AM
RedBaron007
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: E-190 Leftist

I don't doubt that this could be ALK management's move before the pilot contract negotiations, but I've seen a few similar reports that quote other airline execs saying the similar things. Continental just deferred some orders from 2009 to 2010. The article indicated economic reasons (economy slowing) and a recent increase in nationwide capacity that is making it harder to sustain ticket prices. United and US Air execs are saying the same kind of stuff about income (not that it would take an economic downturn to hurt either of these companies....they seem perfectly capable of screwing themselves over all on their own). Even Southwest is talking about slowing growth. The economy does seem to be slowing a bit from what I can tell. I sure as he!! hope this isn't a trend, though. Capacity needs to stay low or consolidation needs to happen so the companies can remain profitable. Sustained profitability would give pilots a great bargaining position in the upcoming negotiations at the majors. Just my $.02.