View Single Post
Old 01-17-2015, 07:31 PM
Scope Chairman
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2015

UPSpilott,

The UPS subcontractor does not have a broken airplane; they have a fleet of aircraft that routinely go into heavy check, just like every other airline in the world. When this occurs the subcontractor uses a non-designated aircraft to replace the current heavy check aircraft and its route. In years past, an Airbus A300 that flew for Solinair was used to cover the heavy aircraft. The agreement between Solinair and UPS ended and Star began flying the heavy check replacement. Consequently, this heavy check replacement creates no new additional flying for our European subcontractor.

In December of 2013, Star entered into a one year lease of a 767-300 from GECAS. Star converted it to a freighter, painted it white, and used it for the heavy check replacement.

In December of 2014, just as UPS was preparing for Peak, the all white GECAS aircraft was leased to another operator putting Star in a tight spot. Again, staying in context, it was Peak everywhere leaving most subcontractors swamped and without spare aircraft.

And yes, it would have been possible for Star to ask UPS to arrange a wet lease, but that did not happen. According to UPS, they had no clue that Star had asked the Danish government for this rare authority, and yes I believe them.

Last week the EB pressed UPS to correct the wrong (crew displacements), admit the error, and enter into an agreement that will prevent this from happening again.

UPSpilott, I do not visit this site very often and have no clue who you are or under what context you reply to other posts. It seems that you may have responded out of frustration to a situation that is far more complex than anyone would like it to be.

But please try to understand that the people who are representing you are the ones who brought about a near miraculous outcome to a very difficult situation with absolutely no legal leverage. It was amazing to watch unfold, and I am relentlessly proud of this EB and our attorney.

So I say with sincerity and honesty, you have been served well. No lie.

In Solidarity,
IPA Scope Chairman