View Single Post
Old 02-15-2015, 07:40 AM
eman
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2012
Default To be a cop or not

Originally Posted by FlyArmy11 View Post
Apply to all branches of the U.S. military for pilot training. Let Uncle Sam pay you to learn to fly, good luck!

What he said...

If I were in your shoes 10 years ago I would've tried harder to get in the military scholarships or find ways of financing it with other people's money. It's really expensive and you'll make peanuts for quite a while. I'd chose to become a cop and earn a decent living while having a job you'll enjoy. My cop friends love their job and there's a good future if you stick with it til retirement and work into different areas of law enforcement. Basically what I'm saying is that if the money for flight training is going to come out of your pocket or loans, don't do it!

It's fun and all but that wears off when bills are due and you're struggling to even get a decent job while you could've been better off financially if you're earning 50k out of the gate. But if you stay out of debt in life maybe you'll be happy even though you make less than 30k a year and can swing it...everyone's situation differs. Think about the pension plans and retirement options cops may get, talk to the ones that have put in a decade or two, even ones who retired to get an idea. Finances matter more and more as you age; don't screw yourself up; and do make your decision while comparing how each path may lead you financially 5/10 years from now.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk