View Single Post
Old 02-17-2015, 07:45 PM
Shaft34
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2014
Position: Aerial Firefighting

Is this a Gov't or Contactor smokejumper pilot job?

My experience (or lack of) with fire aviation is limited to having been an Air Attack pilot this past summer. While not as glamorous as pretty much every other flying gig in fire, I absolutely loved being involved with the operations. Have to start somewhere right? I had pretty lucky timing snagging a job with a Part 135 operator who does Air Attack, Air Ambulance, and Charter. So, I'm able to stay gainfully employed year round. I can tell you, having 2 young kids of my own, that being gone for a month + at a time can suck for the family. Especially if you're just sitting for a few days and not flying much. My wife understands this is something I want to do though, so we are giving it a go. Fortunately, my winter flying has more days off and only a few overnight trips. I do love the smell of smoke in the cockpit as Mr. Burke points out though, so I'm chopping at the bit for the summer to arrive!

It is something you have to ask yourself though...is it just cause you're curious or is it something you really want to do? Personally, I've wanted to do fire flying since I was a kid. Probably the reason I became a pilot in the first place, just had the Air Force get in the way for 19 yrs. Growing up near a CDF air attack base in the Sierra foothills does that to you I guess.

Good luck with your decision!