Thread: Job Fairs
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2015, 08:45 PM
RadialGal
Airborne bus driver

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: my seat smells funny

Ha! Point taken, but I think there are enough of gals not to where we don't get hired with lower mins. May our resumes float to the top of "qualified applicants" pile due to our sex; probably. Can't help that one, I was born with the plumbing I have, it's up to the hiring departments how much attention they pay to the F or M box. The gal pals I know that have hired at majors recently were right in the middle of the competitive times of their class. No female insane low-timers like crazy 1980's for United anymore. Airlines aren't my cuppa anyway. So you won't be competing with me.

Just FYI when I went, WAI wasn't a hiring fair; not by any means. Did some hands get pumped? contacts made....sure. But NEVER anything like 3 hour lines and limited numbers of "interview tickets" or whatever handed out now a days.

When I went, people went to interesting seminars, met up for lunch/dinner and went out on the town drinking wine and girly drinks, swapping "this one time" stories about being a female pilot. I mean, being a girl in this profession makes you about as rare as a (fill in your favorite offensive phrase), and this was the ONE time you got to see other women pilots in any kind of numbers. You could be having Margaritas in Reno with an Astronaut, a Bush pilot, a SkyWest FO, a Kalitta Captain, a Training Captain at Delta, a Inst student and a couple of CFI's, It was EPIC. A little taste of the camaraderie you guys share mano a mano.

But no kind of "active hiring" or "active networking" went on. You didn't get brownie points for showing up to the conference. Not at all. Some airlines had some booths there, mostly manned by women, but no interviews or "official meet and greet" stuff. I don't remember seeing a single line at the couple of earlier WAI cons I attended. Well lines at the bar. maybe........

RadialGal