View Single Post
Old 03-04-2015, 07:28 PM
horrido27
Banned

Joined APC: Feb 2011
Position: 756 Left Side

Get out and join a Guard/Reserve unit.. you may still be able to pull off an Active Duty retirement based on what happens in the future and even if not, finish your 20 there and get your check at 60 (if not sooner) while knowing that IF something stupid happens in the industry, you probably would have the military to fall back on.

I know many guys from my old unit who are now part of the check of the month club and are at max pay for longevity due to the fact that they had their "number" while doing their time at the Guard. Next thing you know, a few activations, a few MPA tours and you're at your 20!
Me, I was able to pull off 27+yrs total (Active and Guard) and will be getting my check at 58~

You'll miss the guys, but that's about it! Like Fly6584 stated, it ain't the USAF of old.
(And even the Guard was/has turned AD.. but still, it's what you make of it and put into it..)

Only you know if waiting another 8 years on AD will be worth it.
By 2023 there should still be alot of retirements (even after they raise the retirement age!).. but then again, another major global conflict or economic meltdown let alone natural catastrophe or two..what will the hiring be like?!

Oh, and do your spreadsheet under the assumption that you will be on narrowbody FO pay up to year 5, mid pay for another 4 years, widebody pay for 3 before upgrading to Capt. And then run the numbers again as Captain for the years above! But.. don't forget the B Fund (15-16%) so add 40-50K a year into the equation with a modest 5% return~
Those numbers will be on the conservative side. What you can't put a price on is the QoL at the airlines vs. Military.

Good Luck.
Motch

PS> If we're all still around in 20-30 years, come back and post on what you did and how it worked out! LOL

PPS> Hired at 40, been here 8 years and still about 4 years till upgrade. But wouldn't trade it for the world.