View Single Post
Old 03-11-2015, 07:31 AM
javaguy141
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: 737

Originally Posted by Albief15 View Post
No war intended either, brother. Just pointing out what a fine Navy O-6 from the Reserves passed on to me (and I've said it many times since…)

"Working as a TG/TR gives you the opportunity to equally disappoint your unit, your company, and your family…."

Having done it 6 years, I do remember it seemed like someone always felt short changed. So why do it? Well…it was money, it was security, but most importantly it still felt good to wear the uniform and serve. Taking pot shots from those who don't understand what you did…or were perhaps jealous…was just part of the gig. It was still worth it. But even though I haven't flown an Eagle in (wow!) 8 years since 2007, I remember the work it took to do it well, and folks who take pot shots at the TRs out there will hear from guys like me who did the job for a while. Ain't asking for sympathy--it was very, very cool. But it wasn't easy.
Did my 20 --and just to piggyback---don't know how many times I got "jumped" in the cockpit for even mentioning the check and Tricare---AFTER BEING ASKED ABOUT IT---I don't self-identify anymore.---down low--too much "populist" in the world right now.