View Single Post
Old 03-20-2015, 05:49 AM
JohnBurke
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by bedrock View Post
OK, you didn't understand anything I stated and instead jumped on a libertarian soap box. Mercedes (at least in Germany) does not hire mechanics off the street, they go through organized and structured training and apprenticeships, the assembly line workers are constantly trained and moved up with experience. Under the "free mkt" (it can't exist, esp. in the airlines for safety reasons), we had 250 hr wet commercial pilots in the right seat of airliners--basically learning on the job at 450 kts with people in the back. There is no way that should happen. Pilots need time to gain experience and more importantly to be PIC. Now, we have the govt. saying 1500 hrs is required, but there is no structured way to achieve it, why should aviation be run like a pirate ship. Right now, the best and most capable aren't necessarily the one's becoming airline pilots, it is the one's with the money. It is a chaotic approach, which is needlessly wasteful.
I understood everything you said. You've just repeated yourself. I understood that too.

Again, nobody owes you or anyone else a pathway to a career.

Yes, the government is telling you that 1,500 hours is required to fly for an airline. This means nothing, and is in fact the same number that's required to obtain an AIRLINE transport pilot certificate. One needs an ATP to fly an ATP job Shocking. As stated, for many of us, it took a lot more than that to be considered, and we all managed to find other work (as previously described) to get there. The same can be done today. The fast ride is over.

Get used to it. Again.

1,500 hours is an insignificant number. If you or anyone else chooses to obtain that minimal experience only through flight instruction, that's your choice. Nobody owes you the students, or a "structured path" to get that experience. It's your career. Make your way. What auto workers in germany do is irrelevant. It's your career. Your problem. Act accordingly.