View Single Post
Old 03-20-2015, 07:02 AM
Cubdriver

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: ATP, CFI etc.

Getting back to the statistics question, you (the OP) came up with some ratios that are indeterminate. Active CFIs/inactive CFIs is an unknown ratio at both sample points. If I say 1/x is to be divided by 1/y, all I have is y/x. If you were trying to normalize out the active CFI/inactive CFI ratio, great idea but that won't do it because the normalization quantity has to be known or at least be the same variable. For example, in aerodynamics we like to normalize things as much as possible to allow apples-to-apples comparisons without extraneous stuff riding along. The most common example is to divide everything by dynamic pressure (q) to get that out of it, because q is q no matter where it turns up.

-----------------

I think this is an apparent dilemma only. Someone said that historically pilots had >2500 hours to go to work at a regional, which I hear was the case until maybe ten years ago. So having to slog through the traffic pattern with an English-mangling student all day is no big deal if the previous number was 2500 anyway. It's was always a hard profession to get into unless you were either a crook who falsifies logs, or a military aviator who was granted an exemption. It is true the acceptance criteria got lower by the late 2000s when 250 hour wonders started turning up, but the washout rates got ridiculous and it was pushed back by Congress anyway. Was the ATP rule right or wrong is another topic for discussion.