View Single Post
Old 03-25-2015, 05:12 AM
EMBFlyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: MD-11 FO

Originally Posted by kfahmi View Post
My nomination:

Trying to commute to work on a mainline flight that was beyond oversold, I politely requested the actual jumpseat from the Captain. With my documents and my ID at the ready, I asked, "Excuse me, Captain, sir, I'd like to request a ride in the jumpseat with your permission."

Captain takes a long look at me. "Who are you with?"

Me: "Skywest, Captain."

Captain gives me a look like I'd just relieved myself in his cornflakes. "You people are taking our flying, you know."

Me: "Well, sir, I'm just trying to get to work and I was just hoping you could help me out."

Captain (aggrieved sigh): "Do you HAVE to sit up here with us?"

Me: "Well sir, the flight is 10 oversold, but I'm happy to sit in back if a seat happens to open up."

Captain (louder aggrieved sigh): "Fine. If you MUST ride, then you must."

What made it hard to keep a straight face was that during this entire conversation, both the F/O and the lead F/A were standing behind the CA making silly faces and trying to imitate Mr. Grumpypants's facial expressions.

Same Captain then spent the rest of the flight complaining about the temerity of regional pilots who shouldn't be allowed to fly anything bigger than a Metroliner.

When he got up to use the lav, the instant the door closed, the F/O turns to me and goes "Can you believe that guy? I've been having to put up with this ---- for the past 4 days. I'm about ready to lock him out of the --- cockpit. Let me buy you a coffee when we land, to apologize." He was very kind. But I insisted on buying HIM the coffee

I got to work on time, though.
I bet you I can guess the airline...