Old 04-05-2015, 11:00 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by SayAlt View Post
Taken from the Skywest thread in the Regional forum (page 995), as I did not want to thread-jack and feel this topic (and post) deserves a thread of it's own in response...

Jgirl-

I absolutely abhor ungentlemanly (and, it should be said, unlady-like) conduct. Sexual harassment like this is a very, very big deal and goes WAY past simple teasing/flirting between the sexes. Corporations who are caught failing to address it (and those that perpetrate it) are liable for HUGE $$ penalties and job loss. As a man I, for one, am sorry you (or any woman) experience(d) this.

If I were a female in this industry, I would get a voice recorder app on my cell phone and use it religiously, thanks to the handful of douche-bags like those in your post who lay claim to being professional pilots. It cannot ever be stressed enough that being a professional pilot is a mentality and a mind-set (as is being a gentleman or a lady), not a matter of being paid to fly (or simply being male or female). I hope you never come across another one of these line-apes, but if you do, I hope that you can catch him in the act so he can be weeded out of our community. Permanently.

By that same token, gentlemen(?), I would caution that not only are these apps very powerful and produce great sound quality, but one never knows what savvy lady has one turned on recording the conversation. KEEP IT PROFESSIONAL. I'm confident that 99% of us respect our piloting sisters for the same desires, skill, and passion for aviation we all share. For you 1%ers, respect that she may be (hopefully is) recording you and save your douche-baggery for when you are off the line.

That all said, I'd like to add the general comment that only true idiots $hit where they eat. NEVER, EVER TRY TO (much less) DATE/HOOK UP WITH ANYONE YOU WORK WITH (ie. in the same company)! But by all means, please ignore this advice. You will pay dearly for it, and you will only have yourself to blame. This last para. goes for you ladies as much as for the men.
I agree whole-heartedly with the sentiment. But many states have laws forbidding secret recording of other parties without their knowledge/consent. Many a fool has tried to use such a recording in employment, civil or minor criminal matters only to end up a felon after they turned in the evidence against themselves!

If you're going to record people, better know the law. Also it varies by state and possibly municipality...if you're recording somebody over a four-day trip, you almost certainly committed a crime somewhere.

You also violated both an FAR and federal criminal law by using a PED in the cockit (between block in and block out)...and you supplied the evidence.