Old 04-05-2015, 02:00 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by SayAlt View Post
So don't turn it in. Just turn it on when one needs to convince someone else that one has been attacked. As a percentage of incidents, HR matters rarely go to court or involve the police.
And hope they don't call the cops. If you do this to a sexual harasser/predator, why do you think he wouldn't call the cops. If nothing else it would muddy the waters if the accuser acted illegally.

My position is that this isn't a crime unless the recording is used to commit a crime, such as blackmail for example.
Your position is totally irrelevant. State law is relevant.

It certainly isn't a crime when used to protect oneself from predators.
The laws I've seen don't allow exceptions for good intentions. The only exception is you're a cop and you got a warrant first.

Rick - please don't take my response here as a refutation of yours. These are just my personal opinions and could be very wrong.
I'm just trying to keep people out of trouble. If you use an illegal recording against someone, it's highly likely they will complain to the appropriate jurisdiction.

I'd like to see the laws re-worded to allow the use of PED's for the purposes we're discussing here.
I'd like to see reworded for a lot of things...like using the calculator on my freakin' phone.

Btw, one can always claim one was in the process of making a simple voice memo to remind themselves of "xyz" and just happened to catch the assault on tape.
Probably wouldn't hold up in court.

Ultimately if you do this are going to jail? Probably not. Will you even get convicted under these circumstances? Maybe not. But you could put yourself through the wringer...you're handing the accused harasser a weapon against YOU.