Thread: Qatar Airways
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2015, 07:10 PM
Jags026
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2015

Originally Posted by HVYMETALDRVR View Post
I know a regional CA that went over there. He was there less than a year, then he came running back to the US and re-started at the regional he originally left for 22,000/yr again. Should tell you a lot.

Basically, your paid a lot of money, to be a treated and worked like complete slave. Flying 100/hrs a month almost every month (which is painful if your doing long haul stuff) with 6-8 days off. The catch is that they sometimes they give you your days off on the road. Your also required to live in Doha and your schedule is specifically built so you can't commute home. My friend said the company sells potential candidates on getting 42 days off per year, but now that there are better options and the company is having staffing issues; most guys are only getting about 30 OFF a year. There's also no guarantee that they'll be consecutive. I believe there is a $30,000 training bond if you bail early, or just never go back to Qatar. Not 100% on that though.

There is also a atmosphere of George Orwell's 1984 going on. The company is heavily relies on fear to keep its employees under control. They've been on the radar of Amnesty International along with other human rights organizations because of they're treatment of foreign workers.

Go to the forums of pprune.org, this is the best site for information on airlines in the Middle East and Asia. There's a ton of information on Qatar on there, should tell you everything you need to know.

I think Emirates and the" other airline in Abu Dhabi" (there's a supposed restraining order from them to be discussed on the internet) is a better deal.

Good Luck.
I know Emirates has a training bond too do you know if they collect on it or if you can just bail early if need be?