Thread: Qatar Airways
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2015, 12:23 PM
OceanicPilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: G650 Captain

Originally Posted by olympic View Post
Um 100 hours a month?? I'm sorry but the guys I know that are on the A320 fly 65-70 hours max, and make at least 15,000-16,000 dollars a month. Don't know if it is different on the other fleets.

I'll second that. My next door neighbor is a 320 FO who flies about this much and is getting his command upgrade after 3 years with the company.

Asian airlines are managed much different than their U.S. counterparts and if you can play the game and keep your head down you should be fine.

They just got a housing allowance raise but it still doesn't cover a nice compound villa if you have a couple of kids. Believe the Captain's are at 15,000 QR and the FO's are at 12,000.

School fee reimbursement was recently raised and I believe is 125,000QR total for up to 3 kids. The 125k will almost pay for the American School for two kids. Schools are generally difficult to get into and you may have to settle for a second or third choice or home school for a year.

It's blazing hot in the summer and beautiful in the winter. There are no other seasons. We just had a nasty sandstorm that was right out of the apocalypse. Mopped our floor five times and the bucket water still came away dirty. Had to take the wife to the ER for multiple breathing treatments and medicine after it wreaked havoc on her asthma. We even have 3 air purifiers in the villa.

Medical care is hit and miss but I would say not up to US standards based on our experiences. We just flew her to Hong Kong for other issues. Others I know have been quite happy depending on the issue at hand.

Construction is everywhere prepping for the World Cup and beyond. Traffic can be stressful.

FWIW I don't work for them but I know a few guys from the U.S. that do. Perhaps some of them may care to chime in. Schedules and hours flown vary greatly depending on your fleet.

If you have any other questions let me know and if you come to Doha for the interview give me a shout and I'll buy you a beer if I'm around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk