Thread: Tool of the day
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2015, 10:30 AM
EMBFlyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: MD-11 FO

Originally Posted by freezingflyboy View Post
1. I thought I had. Many times. Turns out I read them but didn't 'read' them. More on that later...
2. Pretty bold statement from someone I've never met. Very brave of you.
3. I would have agreed with you 100% when taxiing OUT in ground icing conditions. I didn't see it referenced on taxi in, the After Landing or the Parking checklist.
4. I agree, luckiest guy in the world RIGHT HERE! And guess what, I've got a metric boatload to learn, even after all these years! Just GD excited for the opportunity!

Good question Short Bus Drive. From the vitriolic responses here, it would seem that I am the one who is off the reservation on this one so I did some more in-depth investigation. It would seem that most of our "operations in icing conditions" sections are geared towards taxi-out and departure, which makes sense since an engine flame-out at 100 feet in a snow storm is a vastly different animal than a flame-out at the top of the J-line. Lo and behold, separated by nearly a full page and buried in references to takeoff and departure, are these two sentences:
- "Whenever the temperature on the ground is at or below 10C and visible moisture is present, it must be assumed that icing conditions exist."
- "Set the ice detection override knob to ENG any time ground icing conditions are present."

Further on there is one sentence in the After Landing section that DOES say, in part, "For taxi-in follow the same recommendations as for taxi-out." So, it would seem that I am the only one that did not connect these dots. I've been flying this plane for 9 years now, two thirds of that as an FO and it has never come up in the context of taxiing in. Kind of wishing some crusty captain years ago would have slapped young FreezingFlyBoy during his first winter flying the line and said "Son, what the hell you doing!? Trying to FOD the engine? Get that dang ice protection on!" We could have avoided this whole unpleasantness. I stand corrected and ten thousand apologies for any panties that may have gotten wadded. I humbly accept the interweb's nomination as TOTD.
Glad you realized your mistake. I flew the very same airplane for what I think is the very same company. If it was snowing or icing conditions after landing, I had the anti-ice on...and this goes for when I was in both seats. Both jets I've flown at the new company...same thing. If it's snowing or contaminated taxiways/runways/ramps after landing, I leave the engine anti-ice on. Keeps contamination from getting sucked in and building up on the engines. Does it hurt to have it on? Is your taxi performance reduced? Hint: I know the answer to both of those questions. I hope you apologized to your FO.