calcapt
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: 737 Captain
Default Irrational Competition

Originally Posted by fireman0174
Here's part 2

=============================================

Owen and other executives acknowledge that the carrier could catch a break if the current "irrational competition" subsides. That's the term JetBlue executives apply to actions taken by competitors threatened by encroachment by the discounter.

[/url]

I am not a JB hater in any way. Most JB crews I have had the opportunity to meet have been great guys/gals. In my humble opinion, I think JB management (Neelmans team) sees no end to their 25 to 30 percent annual growth plans. Does anybody believe for a minute that AA is going to allow JB to roll in on their turf without vigorously defending it? Delta at JFK or ATL? Continental in Newark? JB is in for a fight and Legacy airlines aren't apt to give away market share easily. One reason that Southwest has been so successful has been their patience in entering markets and their calculated growth. Some of you may recall how America West fared after buying 747's to expand into Hawaii with. It was a disaster because they grew out of their niche. If JB management continues on this "we are JB and can go and grow as we like" attitude, I sincerely think the airline will be hurt (and the employees) in the long run when costs continue to rise and revenues decline due to "irrational competition" which will surely continue. The Larger airlines will not roll over to JB and will fight them for every passenger. JB better have VERY DEEP pockets if they choose to continue this course. I wish the very best to all my JB friends!