Old 05-16-2015, 12:20 PM
Andy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: guppy CA

Originally Posted by hookshot123 View Post
Changing the subject from subsidies.

The ME3 are gutting the European carriers except for the European's flights to the U.S.

But it looks to me like the ME3 carriers will soon run out of routes that will have much effect on U.S. carriers. Even if they fly from every U.S. city to their Gulf hubs they will only poach the traffic out of the US to the middle east and southeast asia. Those Gulf hubs can't touch the U.S. traffic to Europe, South America, Japan, China, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I have answered all calls to action and agree they are unfairly subsidized. I work for Delta and am ****ed we have pulled out of India. But are they really a major threat to U.S. carriers? I honestly don't see the U.S. negotiating new agreements that allow them to fly from countries other than their own to the U.S. (i.e. Milan to JFK) And I don't see passengers preferring the ME carriers so much they would add 10 to 12 hours of connection/flight time to their trip to Europe.

Eventually it seems they are going to sink under the weight of all those huge aircraft orders.

JMHO
Hook
The ME3 want unrestricted 5th, 8th, and 9th freedom rights in the US. Emirates was able to grease enough wheels in DC and Rome to get JFK-MXP. They were going to apply for several other 5th freedom routes, but I suspect that they're finding more roadblocks now.