View Single Post
Old 07-01-2007, 07:52 AM
ToiletDuck
Che Guevara

Joined APC: Aug 2005

Originally Posted by brewcrew View Post
Hey, just wondering what constitutes a check ride failure. I went to Riddle and ratings were basically divided into 3 stages. You took a stage check at the end of each stage with the stage three check being your end of course. Riddle is self examining except for the commercial end of course you have to use a D.E. I've failed a few stage checks and an end of course, so I guess I’m just wondering if I have to say I failed an FAA check ride. I know at Express jet they specifically ask if you failed stage checks so I plan on telling the truth. However, some companies ask only about FAA check rides. Are stage checks and end of course at self examining schools the same thing as a FAA check ride.
No they are not. A stage check is simply that. A stage check. An end of course does nothing but get your grade to you. In order to get a license under part 141 rules you have to complete the 141 syllabus before being able to take your checkride. Not passing the syllabus doesn't mean you didn't pass the checkride. It simply means you weren't ready by their standards. You could easily fail the end of course and still go get a sign off and do it under part 61. I did that. I went to Baylor University and we had a joint program with a 121 school, TSTC. TSTC ran on a trimester while Baylor was a traditional university in the sense that you you had a fall/spring semester that started and ended on normal times. In order for me to graduate Baylor needed me to have all of my ratings. However TSTCs courses didn't end until a few weeks after graduation. I quit the 141 syllabus and got signed off on a part 61 certificate then took my checkrides and got them done in time to graduate. I never completed the end of courses for three ratings which in turn turned into fails because I started the syllabus but didn't finish technically. I picked up my bachelors and left my associates degree sitting on the table. It wasn't worth the trouble to go back and get it.

If you didn't fill out an 8710 and then have to sign a pink slip from the examiner where he then mailed it off to the FAA then you didn't fail. From what you've said you haven't failed any checkrides.

Duck