View Single Post
Old 07-01-2007, 08:33 AM
SharkyBN584
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: ERJ FO

Here's the deal...if you were issued a little pink piece of paper that says "Discontinuance" on it...you have failed a checkride (usually...although they can be discontinued for weather, maintenance, etc). However, if you failed the "End-Of-Course" ride at a Part 141 school WITH examining authority, YOU HAVE NOT FAILED A CHECKRIDE. Those schools don't do "checkrides" they merely graduate you from a course. It just so happens that the very last lesson in the course is very checkride-ish. However, if you fail that...no pink piece of paper....no failure. The FAA requires Part 141 schools to disclose how many of their students pass the End-Of-Course ride on the first attempt...but it's a percentage...not a list of names. The closest the FAA comes to seeing if you failed an End-Of-Course is when they get your syllabus for review along with yoru 8710 packet. However...guess what...they don't keep track of whether you failed the last lesson or not.

How you want to disclose that in an interview is your own business. I stuck to the notion that "I did all my training Part 141 so I never really took a checkride, we just had End-Of-Course rides." The follow up question is always "Well did you fail one of those" to which I'm fortunate enough to say "Nope".

P.S. - The key to all this is the "examining authority" part. If you do that last lesson with a D.E. or an FAA guy...it's a checkride.

P.S.S. - I didn't know Riddle lost Examining Authority on their Commercial Syllabus...that's not a good thing.