View Single Post
Old 05-24-2015, 08:39 AM
TKOwnedU5
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2015
Question ATP, Air National Guard, or Reserves?

Hello everyone, first post here. I've been browsing this site for a couple of days now and have found some great information. I have a tough decision to make. I know two pilots in the industry right now. Both of them are very successful. One of them went through the ATP flight school program and enjoyed it very much. The one thing that bothers me the most is the costs. I can't afford ATP and a bachelors degree. That'll almost cost me 100k after it's all said and done. He says its great if you want to fly ASAP, but if your looking to fly commercial I'm going to need a bachelors degree also. I'm only 20 years old and almost have an Associates degree. I have no licenses.

The second pilot I spoke to told me if I want to save a lot of money I could try the Air National Guard or Reserves. They could pay for my schooling and my flight training. I don't know what route to take. Would it be worth spending all this money at ATP to get all my licenses and hours quickly? Or spend some time in the military?

Sorry if this posts is all over the place, I'm just really eager to start flying and hopefully one day be a professional pilot.