Thread: Tool of the day
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2015, 08:56 AM
cardiomd
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2009
Position: Seat: Vegan friendly faux leather

Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
In the realm of a flight, how he spoke to a ground controller is small potatoes. How'd the flight go? Have you ever shown up to work in a bad mood and snapped at someone you shouldn't have, then done a perfectly fine surgery?

I think the guy was out of line and deserved to get smacked down, but your example is a little over the top. I haven't seen any suggestion there were any safety issues with the flight.
I can honestly say I haven't. I will speak pretty forcefully if something needs to get done now and will occasionally get mad if people are goofing off. However this guy is not in charge of himself or his emotions and that is worrisome for the 200+ people under his care. It is the E (possibly F) in the FAA's IMSAFE.

Not crashing or doing a "perfectly fine surgery" is a pretty low bar. Captain Happy completely destroys any aspects of good CRM with that outburst. Is his copilot going to be willing to tell him he is 10% off speed 10 miles out when he unloads like that?

I'm not saying the guy should be hung to dry or never fly again. I'm saying we should never condone this behavior or just kind of shrug it off. It is often a maker of something more and is deeply concerning.