View Single Post
Old 07-11-2015, 04:22 AM
402DRVR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: A320 Right Seat

Originally Posted by block30 View Post
If you're going to fly for a living I'd strongly recommend getting your flight training done, get your hours, get hired at a regional (I think management will fight tooth and nail for them to survive), *then* work on your degree online/in your free time. I passed up a hiring wave to instead focus on finishing my four year degree. I had more than enough hours to get hired right then and there, but I "I stayed in school" like that old wives tale that promises riches admonishes us to do. Dumb!!!

Non aviation degrees are probably a good idea, as others have said. Cheers.
This. I held a great flying job making near six figures without a degree. The degree is not everything. Get it after the fact. Aviation degrees are what they are. If you get one learn something about aviation outside of the cockpit like airport management or safety or something along those lines. Aviation is more than just the in the cockpit stuff.

There's lots of time to work on degrees after you get a job where you can start building hours. I have completed two while working full time as a pilot. (Thanks GI Bill) If you go this route though make sure you will commit to getting the degree. There are great jobs to be had without it but the legacies will likely continue to require it for some time yet. Just my .02 though ymmv.