Old 07-20-2015, 08:32 AM
JohnBurke
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

You were on medical leave. You indicated that you went back to the employer in management, and are now back on the line. I don't see any room for questioning. You weren't removed from flight status for cause; you simply had a medical issue. You can state that on an application for disclosure; it won't affect your eligibility or desirability as an aviator. We're human. We experience medical issues. It's that simple. You're on flight status now, so the it's a dead issue.

I was out for several months with kidney stones. I didn't realize they'd be as big an issue as they were; I was scheduled to airline to Puerto Rico in the morning to captain a flight to Abuja, Nigeria, of all places. That night, late, I ended up in the emergency room. I contacted the Chief Pilot who thanked me for the call and simply said "call me when you get your medical back." I thought he was overreacting, but he wasn't. It took three months and three operations, a number of x-rays and hoops, and the help of a union physician and my AME, to get back on duty. I was just glad it didn't happen in Nigeria.

I spent the time I wasn't flying doing other duties; I found a job turning wrenches on C-130's, and spent much of the time inside wings resealing fuel cells, in 114 degree weather. It might have been more pleasant on unemployment. It could be argued that I was removed from flight status. I was on medical leave, and I won't hesitate to tell a prospective employer about it, as it's not a negative.

Your situation is no different. You had a valid reason for not flying; medical disqualification, and you've recovered from that status and are flying again. Problem solved.