View Single Post
Old 07-22-2015, 04:28 AM
usmc-sgt
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Jun 2006

Originally Posted by ncpilot1996 View Post
Okay so is it common for guys to get their MEI as their initial?
I am doing mine that way in two weeks and I needs some tips for that oral... It has me freaked out already.
This is how I did it. It was part 61 and I went:
PPL SE
PPL ME
IR (in twin)
CMEL
CSEL
MEI
CFI
CFII

I believe it is also the way that schools such as ALLATPS do it as well. For me, I did it this way because at the time of may training you needed around 100+ ME to get hired at most any carrier. By doing this, after the PPL ME add-on all the hours I flew in the twin were PIC. By the time it came time to do the CFI, I was simply more proficient in the twin as that is what I had spent most of my time in. It worked out fine for me.

As for the oral...it should have you freaked out, its a beast. Put in the time and have your FAR/AIM tabbed and know where to find things and you will do just fine. Mine was with the local FSDO and took about 7 hours or so with a lunch break. It wasn't a bad experience but I was thankful for the hundreds of flashcards I had made as well as the hours of studying. Its meant to be pretty thorough. Keep in mind, you don't have to know everything but you have to know where to find it, quickly. Also, the regulations are reference material, not research material during the oral.