View Single Post
Old 07-22-2015, 11:28 AM
CC268
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2014
Question Mechanical Engineer --> Airline Pilot?

Hey guys,

I graduated in May 2015 with my Mechanical Engineering degree from Northern Arizona University. I was a great student (my last two years I had a 3.8+ GPA and ended up with a 4.0 GPA for my last semester - my cumulative was a 3.4 GPA). My senior capstone project was SAE Aero in which we designed and built a radio controlled aircraft that had to carry a payload. We competed against teams from all over the world and finished 13th overall out of 40 teams - very good for our first time with a very limited budget. I had an internship last summer with Sundt, a general contractor, as a mechanical engineering intern. However, I have little to no interest in the construction industry. I could talk more about my experience, but at this point it doesn't matter.

I can't seem to get a job. I have probably applied to 75+ jobs (if not closer to 100). This is my 3rd month searching for a job. I have had 4 interviews so far. I had an awesome interview with Honeywell for a manufacturing position in which I would have been working with APU's and jet turbines for various platforms. I thought I had a great chance at the job until I received a call that they had to close the position due to budget issues. Bad luck.

To keep this short, I have always had a strong passion for aerospace, but I am wondering if I will be able to find any engineering job at this point. I have started to apply to just about any industry (not just aerospace). I am starting to wonder if I should pursue a career in flying, which has always been of interest to me. I know I won't make much at first, but I don't care.

If I didn't have asthma I would have pursued something with the Air Force, but that unfortunately is not an option.

At this point I am wondering if my best shot is at the local Walmart.

What are your guys' thoughts?