View Single Post
Old 07-23-2015, 02:24 PM
Slim11
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2012
Position: left seat CRJ (again!)

You mentioned a couple of things which beg these questions...

First, what flying experience , if any, do you have now? If you have none, it's not a deal killer. The Army has a WOFT program (warrant officer flight training program) for rotary wing training. With an ME degree, this could be considered a good fit. A flight attendant I worked with at TransStates was a member of the NCARNG and was selected for this flight training program. She was in the band. She should be several months into training by now. Being a helicopter pilot isn't the kiss-of-death it used to be when looking for a career with an airline.

Second, you mentioned the asthma. I'm retired ARNG and don't remember if asthma was disqualifying for all military service or just flying. You could get into the NG/RES as I did in a non-aviation position, be a traditional NG member (attend drill weekends, annual training and mandatory schools) and join a military flying club as I did. A lot of retired military instructors were there and I was able to receive training from retired IPs. The problem there is mostly location...your location and what bases have military flying clubs. Several have closed over the years. With a ME degree, you might be a good candidate for an ANG civil engineering position. Establishing a good reputation in a NG unit could lead to being selected for pilot training down the road.

Good luck!