Old 07-11-2007, 08:51 AM
ChinookDriver47
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Left and Right of Whatever
Default New to site, making an Into, and asking some questions.

Hello all,

First, a little about me before I bombard the knowledge base here with my questions.

I 28, a low time CFI, CFII, MEI, with a Bachelors degree. I only teach part time because I work for the company that builds most of the airplanes in the air today. I have an OK job..it pays the bills, but would consider making the move if the right opportunity came along.

I also fly for the Civil Air Patrol, getting a bunch of time with them flying their cadets around. I have been picked up with the national guard to fly Chinooks as well.

So, here are my questions. I am not sure if i want to fly people due to the constant volatility of the industry. I am thinking perhaps to jump ship to a regional, take the pay cut from my current 47k a year, and work my way up. With the upgrades being what everyone says they are, at the current rates, I would be back to making what I am now in about 4 years. My wife works, and is getting a promotion which would off-set the initial pay cut.

I am also considering an SO/FE position with the cargo industry but am not sure where to start. Do I study for the FEX and get that out of the way? If I start as an FE/So, how do most companies work the upgrade to the right seat? Would I have to continue flying in my off time to get the mins?

Obviously I am pretty new to this, so anyone that could offer any real help and advice would be thanked immensely.