Old 07-31-2015, 08:01 AM
Rotator
On Reserve

Joined APC: Aug 2014
Position: Desk

In a way, you are in an enviable position. You are young, single and have two good skill sets you can use to make a living. I used to be a regional F/O who made the jump to a federal career (non-aviation related). I am approaching retirement eligibility in five years and will be financially independent. Family life crept up on me (married in mid-30's with kids soon thereafter), and I have been home 99% of the time to be with them. That time is very precious. I have a fantastic job, with mostly good days at work, with a few bad ones here and there, and yes, I miss the hell out of flying too. With the age 50 retirement option, I can still go back into flying and have decades worth of slipping the surly bonds before I really turn old. That is a source of comfort for me, and it's a possibility for you too as a controller.

I'd suggest looking at your life OUTSIDE of work. If you are a pilot and controller, you are clearly a smart and capable person. Use your energy and smarts to take a hard look at your personal life. Do you have hobbies or activities that you enjoy? Creative things maybe? Friends and relationships that enrich your life? A happy and fulfilling life depends on a lot of things, not just your job. You seem young enough to switch one way or the other in terms of career, but make sure you are putting a high priority on having a life outside of work. Spending your days off alone and in front of the TV will quickly drain your soul, no matter what you do for a living. Best of luck to you. It's not easy to make those big choices in life!