View Single Post
Old 08-02-2015, 09:59 PM
Nevets
Banned

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: EMB 145 CPT
Default Skywest (sapa) forum shut down!

Originally Posted by ConnectionPilot View Post
It's relevant because he said he was ready for a union. I just asked why he was ready and why he thinks ALPA is a better step forward than what we have now.

I worked at Mesaba, then Pinnacle. Went through the bankruptcy and decided to leave before ALPA passed a contract WITH MANAGEMENT that the pilot group voted in, after being threatened they would lose their jobs if they voted no. A contract which anchored the race to the bottom. Do I blame the 9E guys for voting it in? Of course not. That's their livelihood and they have to have a job to survive.

Why don't I want ALPA at SkyWest? Because I am a lot happier at SkyWest than I was at 9E. Knowing I don't have to worry about a simple case of conflict of interest between ALPA at a regional and ALPA at a legacy. Things need to change, for sure, but that's not the answer.

Ok, I see where your coming from now. I understand your point of view. In reality, a pilot union is only as good as its MEC and the decisions they make. Each MEC is independent in the decisions they feel is best for their pilots. No one at ALPA national can compel any MEC to do anything. But even if you don't want ALPA, which is fine, you can also go independent.

Originally Posted by JustAMushroom View Post
Wow. Suddenly so reasonable. I've gotten accustomed to the rants that this really stood out. It's a nice change.

I've said for a long long time this place needs representation that is enforceable. In my opinion there are many many jr and senior guys who are ready. And there are a few who will just never sign on. As SW guys see the rest of the industry pulling away and the propaganda of being the best paid, best work rules and best loved by management wears off and the obvious reality of thousands of dollars a year being left on the table hits home the guys sitting on the fence will come over. It's not just the reserve rules, insurance costs, ever changing interpretation of rules that will change minds. In my opinion it will be the undeniable fact we are being played that will open the eyes of most guys. If 2004, 2007, 2013 didn't open your eyes maybe 2015 will.

Well, I'm glad that people are starting to realize the propaganda of being best paid, best work rules, etc. We'll see what happens with the vote results.

Last edited by Nevets; 08-02-2015 at 10:10 PM.