View Single Post
Old 08-15-2015, 03:31 PM
MrERJ
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2015

Originally Posted by gzsg View Post
I started at a regional and am now in my 30th year as a Delta pilot. (Former Northwest)

To some, I'm sure it sounds crazy that the minimum starting salary for a first officer in a 50 seat jet needs to be $100,000 and $160,000 for a first year captain.

Open your mind and embrace the value of your education, training and experience.

THE MYTH

The regionals can't afford to pay those wages.

Imagine jet fuel goes to $4.00 a gallon. Your management says to the supplier, "we cannot afford $4.00 per gallon, you will have to accept $2.00 per gallon."

Do you think this would fly?

The supply of pilots was so strong that management got used to paying us little to nothing.

THE PARTY IS OVER

LIABILITY

If a $750,000 per year surgeon accidentally kills a patient, what is the liability?

If the pilots of a 50 seat jet make a mistake and kill 53 passengers and crew, what it the liability? Why is the cost?

Tens, if not hundreds of millions.

I ask you, what other job has this kind of responsibility? This kind of pressure?

What does your CEO make?

If he makes a mistake, he could get a paper cut and possibly an infection.

Management makes excellent money to run the airline. To cope with $4.00 jet fuel. To cope with paying professional pilots what they are worth.

THIS IS NOT YOUR PROBLEM

Buying into management's story that they cannot afford to pay you what you are worth is nonsense. The legacy carriers need the feed and will pay for it. They are printing money.

One penny less than these numbers must be a no vote.

Every word from your management's mouth is pure manipulation.

PILOTS COST WHAT PILOTS COST

LANDING FEES COST WHAT LANDING FEES COST

SPARE PARTS COST WHAT SPARE PARTS COST

Take a stand and restore the profession forever.

Jerry Fielding
I really think this is spot on. Great post. However, I do not believe the pilot group is United enough to ever pull off such a feat. If pay were raised to as little as 50,000/year for first year people will start to become complacent with that. Not that people aren't complacent as it is.

Ps. If you really want to look out for regional pilots you should let me get a delta rec.