View Single Post
Old 08-21-2015, 07:24 AM
CaptYoda
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

Some hotels use certain floor just for airline crews, and DND signs posted are hit or miss as are advance notifications to the front desk. It's hard to control the environment because you could well have a DND sign up but sometime during the day the vaccuming starts, or else hallway congregations can always disturb your rest. I have been at several 5 Star hotels overseas especially where there is a wedding or drunken party over the weekend with noise and music all through the night. I remember a case in Mumbai when a B747 skipper from BA called in fatigued because he couldnt get any rest because of this. It made the morning paper in Mumbai and created a lot of ruckus. But BA supported him 100%. In this new age of terrorism it is best to keep the lowest of profiles. We Americans generally are very bad at this. Ask anyone in a bar overseas and they will tell you they can spot us very easily. It usually is because we tend to be louder than the rest, and our clothers (T-shirts, especially) make some strong statement, not to mention our flight bags! Hotels overseas usually insist on your passport at check in, and I would do my best to avoid providing it. Incidentally, I was in a hotel in India the day of the attack. I used to carry a smoke mask on my overnights (got a lot of laughs from some). Smoke ingestion is the biggest killer in hotel fires. I also would put a glass of coins on a chair against the door as a cheap advance warning system. Keep your phone fully charged and if at all possible have an extra battery. Be safe out there and always maintain your SA, just like when you fly.