Thread: Spirit of NKS
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2015, 09:26 PM
PrattFan
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2015
Position: Slowly drifting left of course!

Frontier's Franke Sees Consolidation in the Future of Low-Cost Carriers - WSJ

Worth a read, and likely gives at least a minor sigh of relief for pilots on both lists, temporarily anyway. Then again, I can't help but think of the first lesson I was taught in this business..."you can tell when they're lying, their lips will be moving".

Many industry observers have speculated that Frontier and Spirit would make good merger partners because of their similar business models, complementary networks and friendly management teams. Mr. Franke stoked speculation in January when he said at an aviation conference that there is room for consolidation among U.S. low-cost carriers.

He reiterated that point earlier this month. “I do believe there will be additional consolidation” among a group of airlines that includes Frontier, Spirit, JetBlue Airways Corp., Alaska Air Group Inc. and Virgin America Inc., he said.

Spirit said in a statement: “We are focused on native growth and we have no plans for merging with any other airline.”

Mr. Franke agreed that a Spirit-Frontier merger isn’t imminent. “Right now they both have a fairly aggressive independent position,” he said. “While we obviously know Spirit management well…there hasn’t really been any formal discussion about the combination of the two airlines.”

Mr. Biffle, Frontier’s president, was blunter: “We have spent zero effort” on consolidation.