Thread: Spirit of NKS
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2015, 07:02 AM
Qotsaautopilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2010

Originally Posted by ShyGuy View Post
In a merit-based work force, yes, which is basically all of corporate America. The hard worker, the more educated, the more willing, the more competent, the guy who brings the results, those get the promotions, pay raises, and higher starting salaries.

But in an seniority-based system, no. Unfortunately. It doesn't matter the educational background, skill, degrees, how good you work, none of that matters. Have an ATP, pass sim training, and recurrent checks, you are as equal as any other pilot at a company. This is not the case for corporate America, so you can negotiate your own pay.

Heck, I still remember being 22 yrs old with my first engineering job and negotiating my pay and time off. Was completely clueless but I still got a good deal.

You may get 11,000 per month with 16 days off, someone else would negotiate to fly more and get only 14 days off for the same 11,000. The examples are endless because it's a seniority based system that defines pay, vacation, and schedules.
In a perfect world you're right and maybe in a skilled profession this still holds true. Though in the business world it's not the case. Upward mobility is 75% office politics and 25% merit based. Also as you move up (usually not with the same company) your title improves and makes you look better on paper to the next employer willing to give you an even better title which you leverage into yet another promotion with the next company. At a certain point you don't actually do any real work, you just preside over the minions as you hope scotch from company to company. All this because you are/were good at office politics.