Thread: Normandy?
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2015, 04:07 PM
essayons
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2010
Position: duck & cover

Originally Posted by magic rat View Post
I had three days to kill, so here's what I did. I took a train to Bayuex, walked into town, there's plenty of hotels which are in walking distance from station as well as meeting area for tour guide pickup. Stayed two nights, at Hotel Rheine Mathilde. I used overloardtours.com. Pick up via their van was right around the corner from hotel. Did the full day Omaha tour. We left early in the AM and got back after dinnertime. Great tour. Then stayed that night and left next day to go continue trip. I've read the usual lot of D-Day books, but luckily I read "The Dead and Those About To Die" just before going, and it prepared me well for Omaha (a MUST read). Also read "Dog Company" which covered the 2nd Rangers at du Hoc. Now I'm trying to cover all the airborne stuff, you get to see some of the drop zone targets during the full day tour, but not enough. I plan on going back for the airborne tour they have. Good luck, it's a life changing experience.

You can not see it all in 7 days. I tired during the 70th. Too much to see and do. Try Ivy House right on causeway 2(?) on Utah. Run by English family. A B&B and tour. If you take train to Carentan, I bet Andy would pick you up.

Have fun.
Essayons