Thread: Tool of the day
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2015, 06:46 AM
Doug Masters
Weekend and Holiday Pilot

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: Sippin' at the Troubadour

Originally Posted by Turbosina View Post
So the other day I flared a couple feet too high, and got a little bit of a float on landing. Speed was right on Vref, but the slightly early flare meant we floated maybe 300 feet past the desired touchdown point, but touched down very softly, on centerline. In my book the landing was maybe a 7 out of 10. In 7,000 hours I've certainly made plenty of lousy landings; this wasn't one of them.

Anyhow, the crusty, cranky ol' CA, a couple years from retirement, who'd spent the entire flight telling me about how the Jews and blacks are taking over America (really?!?) proceeds to give me an exhaustive and arrogantly-styled lecture in flare techniques, the importance of never floating a foot past the touchdown zone, etc etc. This tirade continues for the next hour, as he takes the next leg into an airport with about the shortest runway in our entire system. 'Let me show you how to do it right', says Capt. Yeager.

Anyhow, this guy forgets to pull the power off -- like, literally just forgets -- and we go sailing down the runway, 10 feet up, for a frighteningly long time, the end of the runway staring us in the face. Just as I call for a go-around, this guy yanks the power, slams it down, almost bounces back into the air, and stands on the brakes. I'm still not sure how we stopped in time. A few overhead bins opened, raining luggage on the pax. Fortunately no one was hurt, though the brake temp indicators displayed values I'd never seen outside the sim.

On the next leg, did I get an apology? A debrief of the landing and what went wrong? Nope. Just more ranting about the blacks and the Jews.

Tool of the year, if you ask me.

I hope his next next FO is a black jew.