View Single Post
Old 07-18-2007, 03:32 AM
bifff15
Banned

Joined APC: May 2006

Originally Posted by John Pennekamp View Post
I fail to understand why UAL made the flight time portion so difficult. All of the other airlines (or "Air Lines" in Delta's case) accepting applications don't have such requirements, so who does UAL think they are?

Cliff, yes, e-logbooks are real nice for these purposes, but for some of us they didn't exist or weren't practical when we started flying. These e-logbooks only really got practical 5 or so years ago when they hit PDAs. For some of us converting over would have been a ridiculously onerous process, so we didn't.

Regardless, UAL had similar hours sorting requirements last time they hired back in the '90s when everyone had paper logbooks. I recall that the people who actually got hired were the ones making spreadsheets and having fancy tabs in their logbooks. I think United requires this just to weed out the feeble minded.

The "professors" live up to their reputation again.
JP,
UAL didn't make it difficult for those with a paper logbook, they made the hours portion what they wanted. Remember THEY are the ones doing the hiring.
If you want a shot at an interview you will gonk through your logbooks.
UAL interviews previously have been onerous with them attempting to antagonize you into giving them a reason not to hire you. There was one particular individual (gender not identified but old UAL guys will know of whom I speak) who had it in against military guys and quite a few of my buds who are outstanding pilots and people didn't get hired. I listened to what questions they were asked, and how they were asked and was absolutely stunned.
Don't focus on what's tough (re-doing your logbooks into what UAL / company X wants) but do focus on what you are going to be asked and how you are going to answer it as that is what really gets you hired.
Biff