Old 09-24-2015, 05:45 PM
block30
Bracing for Fallacies

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: In favor of good things, not in favor of bad things

Originally Posted by Dan64456 View Post
CAD test- no need to name any colors.. You hold a controller with 4 buttons at each corner. You press the button that coincides with the direction the colored box went. It gets more and more faint as the test goes on, and adapts to your responses.

About the powerpoint:
They reposted this presentation somewhere in 2014, slightly revised.. no real differences though.. I don't remember where that one went, but they probably fixed a few things just to clean up the presentation. The latest rage is the DNA based color vision testing. This probably a decade off, but they think they can tell exactly the type and severity of your inherited color vision deficiency.. Prob won't see any of this come into play for a long time however, but who knows. Even so they still will probably have the OCVT/MFT. The letter of evidence you get for passing is grandfathered either way.

NTSB is just justifying their existence (funding) during their downtime.
Great write ups, Dan. Was it hard for you to find alternatives to the Ishihara? That is all I can find, and no two doctors adminster their Ishihara tests the same. I have heard of My Flight Surgeon out in PHX, and it sounds like they offer everything for color testing, which is awesome and extremely rare. But for many folks that is a long ways to go. Any ideas on how to track down doctors that offer alternative tests/know what they are talking about? I wrote AOPA's medical folks and asked for a list of doctors who had alternative tests, and AOPA said they don't make referrals.

P.S. I can't even get anything but Ishihara samples online!!!! Grrrrrrrr.