View Single Post
Old 09-25-2015, 06:51 AM
dckozak
done, gone skiing

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Rocking chair

Originally Posted by Albief15 View Post
I am going to share the reasons I am going to vote “yes” on this agreement..
And you will be a very affective advocate for this TA Abie, your influence and advise/help getting many junior Fedex pilots hired may be the margin to move this TA from being downed to passing. At the very least it will increase the YES vote precentage and that will have an affect whether it passes or not.
I'm not going to counter point his arguments pro or con on the improvements this TA offers. Abie's post is long and requires deliberate reading and consideration. I just want to highlight some pertainate points he makes, all relating to section 28, retirement.

So, if once a year, I get bumped from a trip, or pick up an extra trip, or get drafted for a 5 day pairing I can throw that money in my own investment account to offset the loss. ...............
We all know how to fund our future and give ourselves a pay raise, just work more. The senior here can remember a pay survey commissioned by Fedex, done by a (thought to be reputable, honest broker) pilot hiring information company (pre internet). This company determined that Fedex pilots would be (I believe ALPA 1, first TA) the highest paid pilots in the industry, ahead of all, Delta, American, US Air, United, all and every. After closer examination, it was determined that an extra 7 hours per month of overtime was included in the computation. While the publisher never answered to how this was used to figure our exceptional pay, some one in management took to explaining how Fedex pilots on average work an extra 7 hours per month, and so that figure was used to justify our pay comparison with the industry.

But making 300k or so as a widebody captain or over 200 as a widebody FO gives our pilots a chance to make some pretty good money here and now, and then invest for their future as they see fit.
Again, Abie, we know we can save for ourselves in retirement. Everyone without a company provided pension is obliged to do so if they wish to have more than social security at retirement. In all likely hood, junior pilots, more so than us nearer to retirement, will have to put additional monies aside for retirement. That is or could have been income spent on college funds, trips with the family, what have you.

My prediction is we are going to do some work outside section 6 and address some rebalance options.
I'm not even sure how to respond to this comment. We have had several LOA's over the years, most to improve FDA terms after Fedex pilots agreed to the initial deal for FDA move, education, and housing allowance and than chose to bid otherwise when given the chance to enjoy the terms Fedex felt was fair and reasonable for living in HKG and CGN. Does anyone really believe Fedex will come back, outside of section 6 negations and improve our retirement?? If you do, please share the reasons why you think Fedex would be willing between now and the end of 2021 to come offer us more retirement money.

This is a business decision. Each of you may think you are labor, but you are also a business owner—You.INC.
Yes were are all independent contractors. We sell back our vacation, we answer the phone at 0100 and take field drafts to get the company out of a jam (and make some nice draft $$$). We protect carryover and pick up open time, sometimes to the detriment of our off work obligations. We miss holidays, school plays, birthdays and other important events.

If you think the pros out way the cons, your going to vote for this TA. If you plan on retiring at Fedex, you will (hope) you have money saved up or some source of income to provide for you and your spouse until the day you both die. We get a COLA increase, or close to it on this TA. If you want the same before tax income that past Fedex pilots have received, and we live with the terms of this TA and its ever decreasing defined benefit, vote YES and expect to fly extra, miss more family events, plan on living with less income either in the now (save out of pocket) or with a reduced retirement income. But don't delude yourself that an additional 1% B plan contribution and future 1% in 4 years is even going to come close to replacing the diminished value of your frozen A plan.

Run the numbers on a retirement calculator. Compare what is vs what could (should) be. Just remember to be realistic about how much you think you'll make on your B funds over and above inflation.

This TA is concessionary, inflation ensures that. Do the math, than you decide if your overpaid. If so, vote YES.

Capt Donald Kozak
MD 11 Memphis

Last edited by dckozak; 09-25-2015 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Just to clarify who posted this and not hide behind a username