Old 07-19-2007, 05:17 AM
Buzz
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Sitting
Default Question for all civilians currently in flight training...

Hello folks,

I completed my civilian flight training up to my commercial single-engine at a Part 141 school in Northern Michigan. I then joined the AF in 1998. I have flown and had a great time and I am now leaving active duty for an airline job. I have numerous friends that stayed on the civilian track and completed their CFI, CFII, MEI, etc. in the mid to late 90's. They finished their training with tens of thousands of dollars in debt, barely scraped by as a CFI earning poverty wages, years later worked for Net Jets, Flex Jet, ASA, and eventually got airline jobs within the past 2 to 3 years.

My question is... What have you guys seen as far as the amount of people willing to start civilian pilot training only to quit due to the huge cost and poverty wages the first few years?

My theory is that the airlines have trouble in the next 3 to 5 years. I am assuming since 9/11 there have been a lot less people paying for pilot training as well as tuition at ERAU, Western Michigan, Purdue, etc. because of the bleak job prospects. Therefore the regional airlines will have a smaller pool of people to hire and therefore the major airlines will have a smaller pool from which to hire in the coming years.

Any thoughts? Thank you.