Old 07-19-2007, 10:55 AM
Timmay
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: FOD

I don't have the numbers, but I believe ERAU-Prescott has, in the past few years, exceeded new pilot enrollment numbers from pre-9/11. As an instructor there, though, it seems like there are a lot more newcomers who have the entitlement mentality and it shows in their work. The vast majority of my students over the last couple years have expected to be spoon-fed every minute detail of their training with as little outside effort put out on their parts as possible. So my theory is that there are still a ton of high school grads who have wealthy families and think that flying would be a cool job so mom and dad cut the check and they're off to school.

Don't get me wrong, there are still students who genuinely love to fly and are going into the industry because of their passion for aviation. But the mentality of so many students and parents could be summed up if you tag along with any random campus tour. I used to give tours of the flight training center as a student, and more often than not, there would be a student or parent who would ask "How much money will I be making when I become a captain on a 747?" or "If I attend this school, will I HAVE to work for a regional airline?"

Not illogical questions...but if you're asking them you're probably going into the job for the wrong reasons. Sorry, I digress a little bit, but long story short, I don't think Riddle has seen much of a slow-down in new students.