View Single Post
Old 10-06-2015, 03:57 PM
viper548
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: A-320

The majors have a lot of retirements coming up. American is retiring half of their pilots in the next 10 years. Getting hired sooner rather than later will make a huge difference in career earnings. I went into debt and glad I did. Not everyone will think it was worth it.

Here are my suggestions to save money on flight training:
1. Buy Microsoft flight simulator. Practice each lesson on the computer before you go up in the airplane. This is a huge help for instrument training.
2. Get all of your ground school knocked out before starting flight training. The airplane is an expensive classroom.
3. Consider buying an airplane and doing your training in it. There are a lot of good options for less than $30,000. Sell it afterwards for about what you paid for it.
4. Consider combining flight lessons. A lot of time is wasted taxiing, engine run, flying to the practice area. Minimize that by doing 2 lessons in 1 flight whenever possible.

Many aspects of training you should be able to teach yourself between reading in a book and using flight simulator. When you do it in the airplane it will feel like review and you won't spend a lot of time repeating things.