View Single Post
Old 07-22-2007, 12:37 PM
Bucking Bar
Can't abide NAI

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Douglas Aerospace post production Flight Test & Work Around Engineering bulletin dissembler
Default Lots of civillians getting hired

The class mix is around 50/50. I am mid time with 5,800 hours and 3,000 jet 121 PIC. We have a couple of Marines, four (I think) Air Force, several Navy, 7 ASA, 3 Comair, 2 SkyWest, 2 Jet Blue and a Continental pilot in class. The high time pilot has around 8,000, the low might be a little less than 2,000. He is a fighter driver. (some of the fighter guys have a lot of 0.5 and 0.7 in the logbook so a low time fighter guy has more experience than you would think)

If you meet published mins you should get your application in. To get to the top of the pile (between 3,500 and 10,000 applicants - we hear different numbers) you need to emphasize what extra skills you bring to the table. Delta wants the image of a sharp looking professional pilot who is happy to assist passengers in the terminal, who goes out of their way to complete a mission safely, efficiently an with excellent customer service. To get that pilot, Delta seems to be looking at your history of accomplishements and interests outside the airplane. If you served in Safety, Line Check Airman, IP, or even in some service capacity, it helps. Even if it is something as simple as a Habitat for Humanity build, Delta is looking for the type who participates and trys to make the place even better than they found it.

Delta is the best employer in the business right now. Next year could see 1,000 probationary pilots on the property. As the 777LRs hit the property the staffing models for these ultra long range jets requires lots of pilots. When you consider the good morale, decent pay and the way they treat their employees Delta is worth making a max effort to get on board at the start of a wave.

I'm not so deep in the cool aid that I don't recognize that Delta has its challenges for the junior pilot. PBS bidding is not so great and the senior four day trips on the MD88 are not as good as the average junior line at a regional. But, overall the situation at Delta is VERY good.

Last edited by Bucking Bar; 07-22-2007 at 01:57 PM.