View Single Post
Old 11-01-2015, 04:12 PM
The Dominican
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: 747 captain

I'll expand on my post since I have seen some of your posts on the matter, I'm currently working with a group precisely on the issue of salaries in the region and I have seen the numbers....., I will not post the sources here.

There are gigs in Latin, Central America & the Caribbean where the pay is way low...., but then again, an F/O starting at MESA and an F/O starting at FedEx are in very different pay scales right?

Out of all the major carriers in the region, the most reputable and stable ones, the one with the lowest salary rates is COPA...., the other carriers pay around 10 to 11K to the captains and the F/O's are at about 5 to 6K...., this is based on 13 salary payments per year since in December they pay the "Doble Sueldo" basically for Christmas you get two salaries.

There are three exceptions though:
Cuba: Does this really need an explanation?

Venezuela: Salaries there have remained the same in Bolivares but they have gone down dramatically as their currency and economy has plummeted due to the fact that they have a president that talks to another dead president. Nuff said!

Dominican Republic: This one is harder to explain but basically the DR has been without a national carrier for two decades now, many attempts to restart an airline have failed due to the political influence that the majors in the US obtain (I'll use that term for now) in the country...., although the economy in the DR is stable and growing, there are many political forces that are at play against an airline being set up there; there is one carrier now that started with old DC9's and MD's but they only have 3 Dominican pilots on line now and the pay is way low.