View Single Post
Old 03-02-2006, 02:28 AM
captjns
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar

Originally Posted by Savannahguy
Looking for info for international ops, esp those going across the Pacific to Asia...

1. Does Sirius or XM satt. radios work off shore/out of the domestic US...? For example, can u pick up a signal and listen over in Asia or Europe...?

2. Are there any decent ways to call home, I have a Verizon Cell that I am locked into for awhile, but are there affordable plans/calling cards that people can use, esp> from Asia.

3. Any recommendations on powering your stuff (ie iPod, laptops, so on) over there...? Do most of the decent hotels provide converters or do you suggest carrying your own...?

Just a few that come to mind for now, thanks for any advice

SAV
[*]1[LIST=1][*]. Call Sirius or MX for complete details. You may also find answers on the internet.[*]2. I have heard that with software installed on your computer, you can make calls via the internet. However the calls are not secure. So act accordingly when talking via the internet. You can go to any computer store get information about the required software[*]3. Depending on the aircraft you fly, you can plug your toys into the 115 AC adapter in your airplane and charge the batteries. I charge my cell phone on the plane myself. Hotels generally have adapters at the front desk. That is of course if your company puts you up at decent hotels. Countries around the world have their own type of power and therefore different adapters are required. I think Radio Shack has an adapter than can be adjusted to various current types. Check them out too.

Happy flying and traveling