View Single Post
Old 03-02-2006, 05:14 AM
Ranger
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: MD-11/10 Captain

Originally Posted by Savannahguy
Looking for info for international ops, esp those going across the Pacific to Asia...

1. Does Sirius or XM satt. radios work off shore/out of the domestic US...? For example, can u pick up a signal and listen over in Asia or Europe...?

2. Are there any decent ways to call home, I have a Verizon Cell that I am locked into for awhile, but are there affordable plans/calling cards that people can use, esp> from Asia.

3. Any recommendations on powering your stuff (ie iPod, laptops, so on) over there...? Do most of the decent hotels provide converters or do you suggest carrying your own...?

Just a few that come to mind for now, thanks for any advice

SAV
1- I can tell you that XM does not work in the PacRim. However, if you already have an XM subscription you can sign up for XM service through your laptop. I just did it a few days ago. And the part is that it's free. Siruis has the same deal only they charge for it. Do yourself a favor and buy a travel speaker. They're small and make the sound much, much better.

2- I agree that Skype (or something just like it) is the ticket. 2 cents a minute is hard to beat. And that's if you use your computer to call a phone number back in the states. If you call computer to computer it's free.

3- Laptops can plug into any recepticle that you have an plug adapter for. The AC adapters that come with your laptop can eat 100-240v AC. They even work in the airplane with 400 cycles. All of the other toys will require some sort of adapter plus a converter if you want to use almost all of the plugs in the room. Most hotels also have a 115v plug in the bathroom. I use them all the time to charge my iPod and camera batteries. And carry your own converter and plug adapters. It's hit and miss on borrowing one from a hotel front desk.