View Single Post
Old 12-07-2015, 09:58 AM
NEDude
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007

Originally Posted by got2fly View Post
There is no news here. You can live overseas, but if you are employed in the USA there is no foreign earned income exemption because it is not foreign earned income! I lived and worked overseas and had the foreign earned income exemption. Then I took a job for a USA company for 6 months while still maintaining my residence overseas, and did not establish any residence in the USA. I was not able to take the foreign earned income exemption for that calendar year. Any $30 tax software program will keep you from making that mistake. The foreign earned income exemption is still in place for people who are bonafide residents of a foreign country and are employed in that country for an entire tax year. There is no mystery here. Just follow the rules. Turbotax basic or H&R Block basic software or will keep you out of trouble.
I am not claiming to be fully knowledgable about tax issues. But I do know there have been others on here who have claimed that the IRS has attempted to collect taxes from pilots (and flight attendants and sailors too) who spend much of their time in international airspace or waters, even if they are working for a foreign company. Not quite sure how or if the IRS is capable of tracking all of your international travel other than when you entered and departed the United States or how they can prove when or if you were in international airspace. But supposedly they have made attempts in the past to collect on that income.

Anyway, I am most definitely not a tax expert and will certainly not try and steer anyone in any direction other than to seek the help and advice of a tax professional. I simply posted the two articles for informational purposes because they are recent developments and do have potential implications for those of us who are employed by foreign carriers.

Last edited by NEDude; 12-07-2015 at 10:12 AM.