Thread: Tool of the day
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2016, 11:03 AM
ShyGuy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005

Originally Posted by MikeF16 View Post
To the DAL gate agent working the 1755 JFK to ATL this past Saturday. After waiting 10 minutes for Air France to clear the alley and another endless 5 minutes waiting for crews to hook up external power (no APU) I run to the gate 6 minutes after push and find the door still open and the gate agent still up top at the computer. Relieved, I asked if there was any room on the flight. The gate agent responded every seat was taken. I asked about the cockpit jump seat: taken, the FA jumpseat? Oh that's open.

"Great, list me for the FA jump seat".
"sorry, if I take the time to do that, I'll take a delay"
"uhh, it's 7 past push and the door is still open. You're already late, what's another 60 seconds?"
"sorry, I can't do that"
"so you're going to make me spend a night in NYC away from my family so you can save a minute on a flight that is late anyway"
"sorry, I can't list you"

At which point he closes out the flight, goes down the ramp, and closes the door. He then had the gall to come back up and tell me how sorry he was, but now the door is closed and it's out of his hands. YGBSM.

In the end it worked out, because as I was contemplating getting a cab to grab the 9pm out of LGA, I got a call from a desperate scheduler trying to fill a last minute NYC trip that had been converted to an ATL GS. "Well, it just so happens I'm already in NYC, if you can buy my hotel room for the night..." End result was good, but doesn't change the toolery of the gate agent.
Yeah but at least you came after scheduled departure time. I ran over for a 450pm departure and got there at 435pm and was told sorry, we closed at 430pm. A full 20 mints early. Jetbridge hooked up and everything and no one waiting for a gate, no weather, no edct. And it's one thing if they close 20 early and plane pushes 15 early. No, this 717 didn't even push until 7 prior. How much you wanna bet the gate agent could have easily listed and gotten me on in less than 8 minutes, and still have this plane push 7 early?