View Single Post
Old 01-08-2016, 06:35 PM
cardiomd
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2009
Position: Seat: Vegan friendly faux leather

Originally Posted by cactusmike View Post
Hardly.

Cowboy? Go play with yourself on your Microsoft flight sim and stop bothering real pilots. Like I said, you have no clue. You don't know the program, you don't know the training and you don't know the background of the guys in the program.

Many pilots have a regular law enforcement background. Many more have experience with weapons or a martial arts background. Most of the guys who got into the program to skip the TSA line left after KCM. Those that stayed put up with a lot for zero compensation. So I'd be careful with characterizing a group when you don't know a thing about them. You are stereotyping. Just like I think all doctors who fly GA are flaming a-holes.

Look cactus, I do see your point of view, and I recognize the varied participants. Why do the ones that stay, stay? It is a fantasy that having a known armed crewmember would seal security holes without opening up legion more. Cowboy mentality, enabled by bad policy, and only a subset of fervent participants, as you reference, continue to participate and "put up with a lot."

You are welcome to share some scenarios and a good analysis where you think that having a pilot carry a gun on a commercial airliner behind a locked door would be a net advantage, in a new thread. Or just call all doctors a-holes instead. Attacking for stating the obvious is pretty silly.

Fortunately I predict the program will be ended pretty shortly, and rightly so.

Originally Posted by PotatoChip View Post
I would REALLY like you y'all to buy each other a drink at a bar, because you are both turning into TOTD candidates.
I do help people on APC professionally and have done so in the past. I'll buy a round if I ever see you in the terminal. We should make APC luggage tags!

I see why other fellow pilots are reluctant to bring up touchy subjects, despite the vast majority having identical feelings to me. I don't have to spend hours with a potentially armed hothead in a tiny room, and if I did I might not express my views in the same way. As others here have said, though, sometimes it is good to break the echo-chamber. We doctors need and do that often.

I am a gun owner myself, but the post-1990's NRA and increasingly crazy carry-your-gun-everywhere extremists left me, and most people dedicated to healing, a long long time ago.